Thursday 22 December 2011

So Here We Are...

It's Friday 23rd December, very a.m., but I'm in that 'can't be bothered to go to bed' mode. Today - or rather, yesterday - was the last day of training for Rock SAT as it has existed up until now, with all of us based at Frontier Centre. In about five hours' time, some of the early risers will be off and away for Christmas, and then Scottish and Kentish horizons beckon them on.

As for me, I think that Rock SAT - strangely - will really begin come my return in January after the holidays. It's been a necessary preparatory stage, and yet it's only been 81 days, which in the scheme of things is a fraction of a moment of a blip. Flat-packing a whole bundle of training into a sub-three month period has made time elongate, and it seems like I've been here for ages, when it's less than a school term.

I've already had the pre-brief that I'll be on some Spotlight Sessions almost straight away with kids when I get back, which will be great. The impending 'go live', if stadial and supervised, is what I came for, and it's exciting that it is a visible prospect now.

Before that, some latest news, which is that I've just completed my latest sponsored challenge of memorising Psalms 120-134, all the Songs of Ascent, and I hope the video will soon be available to view. Thanks to all who supported and sponsored me - and you can still do so at Just Giving's website.

Christmas soon, but I don't feel very Christmassy. In actual fact, I haven't done so for a few years, not in the kiddish way that I had when I was a seven year-old. I'm more excited about seeing lots of family and friends, and Christmas holidays are just a good excuse to have sufficient time to do that.

For to me, lots of 'occasions' that the calendar throws up are so much like just another day. Their true significance is that they're marker posts on the way to a greater occasion that Christmas foretells: Jesus' Second Advent.

It's with that thought that I ought to occupy myself: this is not the end of a year, but a prompt of history. It should make me consider and confess the causes that brought Jesus here, and spur me to live by His Spirit - for we celebrate His coming only until He Comes.

No comments:

Post a Comment