Sunday 9 October 2011

BTEC, Scouse and Google

It's the phase where nicknames are being tried out to see what will stick. Mine has (astonishingly quickly) become 'Google'. Apparently I 'know everything', and so 'to Google it' now means not to look something up on a search engine, but to ask me if I know the answer!

Somewhat overrated, methinks. However, with me being the aged daddy of the group, at a ripe old 26 years old, there's one or two things I've picked up in my time.

Quite a bit of 'banter' is flying about, together with some developing in-jokes between the Rock SATers. One catchphrase has definitely hit home: 'Open yer eyes!', one of the repeated phrases of the First Aid course. The thick Blackburn accent of the trainer has guaranteed a laugh on any occasion it has been repeated.

The whole experience so far has felt like a bit of a holiday, only reinforced by a big road trip we've just got back from. Frontier Centre doesn't have a pool of its own - one of the few things that isn't at this site - so over the weekend we've been down to Carroty Wood, near Tonbridge. It was only during the journey that I had to realise that this isn't a little adventure, but my life for the next two years.

Little bit scary, and kayaking in the pool at Carroty has left me on a knife edge between excited and freaked out about what awaits around the many corners that will arrive. More water sports coming up this week, and this time the spray deck is on for real in the great Nenebezi...

No comments:

Post a Comment