Tuesday 4 October 2011

Can I wear those socks again?

The last few days before leaving Streatham were an operation in trying to judge acceptable levels of laundry frequency as I attempted to juggle packing up with not having to unearth underwear from box 17.

That makes it sound as though I had a packing regime of military precision (oxymoron, anyone?), and, to be fair, it was fairly well organised until the dying embers of my Streatham life.

Now I've arrived, the greater problem is not that things weren't labelled down to the last pencil, but that I've had to transport my whole life here having moved out of London, and I'm not living in a whole house anymore. It's somewhat more snugly-sized than that...and to cap it, I'll have to move it in and out a couple of times in the next few weeks, as it's going to be used for visitors to Frontier Centre.

It's made the settling-in process a little bit bumpy, but it was always going to be that way. Change = discomfort, but that doesn't have to mean I shut down in anxiety. 'Cast all your cares upon the Lord, because He cares for you' is really going to have to mean something at the moment.

We've all got kitted out with more to come in a few days' time - wetsuit included! Still a but nervous about the glasses issue - we're going to be practice kayaking in the pool at Carroty Wood over the weekend - but I should have a sports strap coming in the post, so pray that arrives - and works!

Been doing the first day of a First Aid course today - second half all day tomorrow. Lots of nightmare scenarios to consider, which itself gets the pulse jump-started.

Also kicked off the 'message sessions' this morning before training, Rich Wyatt (SAT co-ordinator) getting us to consider the importance of reaching children with the message of the gospel because of the hardening of people's attitudes once they get older. To complement that, we also thought about the imperative to serve God now, and not wait for a more opportune time - there will always be some excuse to put it off.

So if now is the day of salvation, now is the time to be fishers of men.

No comments:

Post a Comment